The Aston Student's Union, formerly the Guild, is home to countless happy memories for thousands of graduates. But in recent years, changes to the size and shape of campus have left it a little out of the way and it has gradually become less relevant in the everyday life of many students. Aston University is going to transfer the spirit and purpose of the old building is into a brand new, state-of-the-art SU home right in the heart of campus, where it can a vital part of the university experience for every student. A important service in this new Union will be an updated and upgraded ARC, the Advice and Representation Centre, where students can seek support and expert information for any challenges they may be facing, such as with housing, their studies or their finances. Aston is funding the majority of the building work, but we are asking alumni and friends of the university to join in and donate to this exciting project, which will help keep the Union just as relevant in students' lives for the next 50 years as it has been for the past 50!
Who are We?
Aston Students Union, formerly the Guild, has been entertaining, supporting and encouraging students since the mid 1960's (and earlier, in one shape or another!). Getting a degree requires hard work and dedication, but getting an education requires a community. That's where the SU comes in.
For over 50 years, first as the Guild and later as the Union, students have been using the old building. It has hosted gigs, rallies, clubs and societies and, of course, great nights out. But it has also been somewhere students can turn for vital support when they encounter problems.
- Each year hundreds of Aston students receive free and impartial advice from the ARC (Advice and Representation Centre)
- In some cases, the support and advice they receive are the difference between them being able to stay at Aston and fulfill their ambitions, or falling behind on studies and having to leave university
- When alumni donate to the new SU building project, they are ensuring that the supportive spirit of the old Guild can continue into the future.
Where will the money go?
- The total cost of the new SU building as a whole is £8.3 million.
- The majority of this is being provided by Aston, with alumni able to add their support alongside this
- All donations by individual alumni will be put alongside the university funds allocated for the building work and counted against the set-up costs proposed for the new ARC
- Aston doesn't build a new Student's Union every week, so we want to make this a special project for you to be involved with! To thank you for your support, we offer something tangible in return, whether that is your name inscribed in the new building or a chance of lifetime membership. Have a look at the list of possible rewards available.
Find us here
Help us succeed!
- The more Aston alumni who know about this, the more donations we will receive, so please tel your friends!
- You can be a supporter whether you donate or not. Anyone can register on the site as a supporter.
- Once you are a supporter you receive a unique link that you can add to your own social media and e mails. This means we can see which supporters have generated the most clicks!
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and add your name to a new Aston landmark